Table of Contents
Stairs are a necessary part of many factories and warehouses. However, they can also be a safety hazard if they are not properly designed and installed. OSHA has a number of requirements for stairs in factories and warehouses, and it is important for businesses to comply with these requirements in order to protect their workers.
OSHA requirements for stairs in factories and warehouses
OSHA requires that all stairs in factories and warehouses have the following features:
- Uniform riser height and tread depth: The riser height, which is the vertical distance between two treads, must be uniform throughout the staircase. The tread depth, which is the horizontal distance between the leading edges of two treads, must also be uniform throughout the staircase.
- Handrails: Stairs with four or more risers must have handrails on both sides. The handrails must be continuous and extend at least 12 inches beyond the top and bottom treads of the staircase.
- Landings: Landings must be provided at the top and bottom of all staircases, and at intermediate points if the staircase has more than 12 risers. Landings must be at least 30 inches deep and at least the width of the staircase.
- Nosing: Treads must have a nosing, which is the projecting portion of the tread at the front edge. The nosing must be at least 1 inch wide and at least 1/4 inch high.
- Lighting: All stairs must be adequately lit. The lighting must be sufficient to allow workers to see the entire staircase and to avoid tripping or slipping.
Benefits of using OSHA-compliant stairs
Using OSHA-compliant stairs in your factory or warehouse can provide a number of benefits, including:
- Reduced risk of accidents: OSHA-compliant stairs are designed to be safe and easy to use. This can help to reduce the risk of accidents, such as slips, trips, and falls.
- Increased worker productivity: When workers feel safe and comfortable, they are more likely to be productive. OSHA-compliant stairs can help to create a safe and comfortable work environment, which can lead to increased worker productivity.
- Reduced liability: If a worker is injured on a staircase that is not OSHA-compliant, the business may be held liable. Using OSHA-compliant stairs can help to reduce the risk of liability.
How to choose the right OSHA-compliant stairs for your factory or warehouse
When choosing OSHA-compliant stairs for your factory or warehouse, there are a few factors to consider, including:
- The type of traffic: If the stairs will be used by heavy traffic, such as forklifts or pallet jacks, you will need to choose stairs that are made of durable materials and have a high load capacity.
- The amount of space available: Stairs are available in a variety of sizes and configurations. You will need to choose stairs that fit the available space in your factory or warehouse.
- Your budget: Stairs can range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. You will need to set a budget before you start shopping for stairs.
Where to buy OSHA-compliant stairs
OSHA-compliant stairs are essential for any business that wants to provide a safe and healthy work environment for its employees. Industrial Man Lifts offers a wide variety of OSHA-compliant stairs to choose from, so you can find the perfect solution for your needs.
Whether you’re looking for a standard staircase, a custom staircase, or a portable staircase, Industrial Man Lifts has you covered. We also offer a variety of accessories, such as handrails, landings, and gates, to help you complete your staircase project.
Benefits of purchasing OSHA-compliant stairs from Industrial Man Lifts:
- Wide selection of stairs to choose from
- Custom stairs available
- Portable stairs available
- Variety of accessories available
- Competitive prices
- Fast shipping
How to order OSHA-compliant stairs from Industrial Man Lifts:
- Browse our selection of stairs online or visit our showroom.
- Get a quote on your desired staircase.
- Place your order.
- Receive your stairs and install them according to OSHA guidelines.
Contact Industrial Man Lifts today to learn more about our OSHA-compliant stairs and to get a free quote.
Using OSHA-compliant stairs in your factory or warehouse is important for the safety of your workers. OSHA-compliant stairs are designed to reduce the risk of accidents and to create a safe and comfortable work environment. When choosing OSHA-compliant stairs, be sure to consider the type of traffic, the amount of space available, and your budget.