What is Ergonomics?
It also takes into consideration the way workers interact with the necessary tools and equipment, method of working, and the work environment.
Ergonomics aims to keep in mind the body structure and musculoskeletal coordination that may be required to get the job done.
In order to facilitate the worker, molding the task and building custom-made workstations, equipment and tools to minimize stress on the worker’s body is what ergonomics is all about.
This eliminates several work hazards that could lead to physical disability or musculoskeletal disorders (MSD’s).
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (U.S. Department of Labor), 31% of injuries due to MSD’s was due to overexertion while lifting heavy material.
What Do Industrial Ergonomic Specialists Do?
Industrial ergonomic specialists work around postures and other body movements and positions that help the work to fit the person rather than the person having to adjust to the task at hand.
The task of these experts is to study, identify and analyze information about workers, their job responsibilities, the equipment being used, and the industrial setting in which they are operating.
Hence, they try to minimize the lost days at work, and ultimately the productivity levels and revenue. According to Bureau of Labor Statistics work-related musculoskeletal disorders (WMSDs) are the major reasons of absences with the median being 10 days off from work. This average was for workers who had sustained a strain, sprain or tear.
How Can Ergonomic Risk Factors Be Controlled?
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has set certain standards and guidelines for jobs employing manual workforce and equipment handling:
- Try to eliminate the manual lifting, lowering or carrying of heavy containers. This can be replaced by drum carriersor lift trucks to lift and transport the material.
- Divide the weight of the object into two containers to avoid too much stress at one time.
- Mechanical help can be employed by the use of ergonomic work platformsto elevate the worker to the required height. This makes sure the worker is not exerting himself too much.
How Can Ergonomics Help The Workplace?
- Make the employee feel safe and comfortable at work. This will make them feel valued and intrinsically motivated to align individual goals with company goals.
- Automation helps minimize human error and boost product quality.
- Reduce absenteeism due to MSD-related issues, muscle fatigue and soreness
- Ergonomically designed jobs help reduce turnover.
We at Industrial Man Lifts make sure that our range of support equipment and maintenance platforms are built keeping the right ergonomics in mind.
From adjustable work platforms to aircraft maintenance ladders, we make sure that we serve a diverse array of needs. Our aim is to make the work environment as safe as possible for a variety of industries. Contact us at (888) 730-8377 anytime; our customer service representative is available 24/7.